NANTICOKE COMMUNITY ALLIANCE
C/o john quinton foundation, inc.
P.O. Box 462, Sharptown, MD 21861
Home Phone: 410-883-2509
Cell Phone: 410-726-2862
Nanticoke Community Alliance
• 50% of 12th graders, 35% of 10th graders, and 20% of 8th graders at MMHS have consumed alcohol within the past 30 days.
• 72% of 12th graders, 67% of 10th graders, and 43% of 8th graders at MMHS have consumed alcohol within the past year.
• On average, MMHS students first try alcohol at the age of 12 and begin drinking alcohol regularly at the age of 14.
• Over half of the MMHS student body has tried alcohol by the age of 15.
• 64% of MMHS students find it easy to obtain alcohol.
• 4 out of 5 local establishments selling alcohol have failed alcohol compliance checks since 2010.
• 63% of MMHS students report that at least one of their friends has consumed
alcohol without their parents’ knowledge.
• Less than half of the MMHS student body believes that they will be caught by their parents if they drink alcohol.
• The number of underage drinking citations in Wicomico County has increased from 278 in 2007 to 420 in 2011.
• Only 23% of MMHS students believe that they will be caught by the police if they drink alcohol.
• 45% of MMHS students report that their parents never or seldom talk with them about the problems associated with substance use.
• 55% of MMHS students report that their teachers never or seldom talk with them about the problems associated with substance use.
• Jun 2012 – First Annual Day in the Park – 200+ Attendees
• NCA Mailer to 3,200 residences/businesses
• Oct 2013 – Installed Billboard on RT 50 East
• Partnered with: University of Maryland’s Shock Trauma, SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), MMHS, Wicomico Co Sheriff’s Department, and WCBOE
• Jun 2013 – Second Annual Day in the Park – 100+ Attendees
• Numerous Adult Workshops: SPF Process, Team Building, Underage Drinking in College, Strategic Planning